A large collection of books which were once part of some of the former Institute libraries
Contains 80,000 photographs, mostly of 20th century ships, includes virtually all of the ships that carried post Second World War migrants to Australia.
19th century fiction that was available for borrowing at the Hotel.
Limited edition, fine printed books published by the Club.
Donated by Cellarmaster Wines in 1989, it is a collection of 900 wine books with strengths in books published before 1800, and in books in languages other than English.
This world renowned collection contains about 8000 photographs, mostly of sailing ships from around the world, taken between about 1865 and 1920, and mounted in 91 albums. Volumes are arranged by country of ownership, with some special volumes such as 'Shipping at Port Adelaide' and 'South Australian outports', so some subject browsing is possible. The collection is housed at the Information Desk and you can check for the name of a vessel via the Library catalogue.
More than 40 monographs, periodicals and catalogues of art exhibitions published by the Preece company from 1907 to 1971.
Consists of the 34 remaining books of the first library to come to South Australia. Selected by Robert Gouger, the books are of a practical nature and include advice to emigrants to other British colonies.
From 1960/1961 to 1990 the Griffin Press, a leading Australian printing firm, presented one copy of most of the books it printed to the State Library. It includes both South Australian and non-South Australian works and represents a variety of printing styles and designs.
In 1968 the Chairman of Thomas Hardy and Sons presented to the Library the first annual grant for the Thomas Hardy Wine Library. Each year since then the company now known as BRL Hardy Limited and, more recently, the Hardy family, have given a grant for additions to the Thomas Hardy Wine Library. The collection now contains more than 1,900 titles.
This incomplete collection comprises books and pamphlets printed by this Adelaide printing house which operated from 1885 to 1954.
From 1917 to 1979, the Libraries Board of South Australia published many facsimile editions of the works of Australian explorers, and other historically significant South Australian and Australian works. The Libraries Board also published original monographs including bibliographies and periodicals, such as Pinpointer and South Australiana.
A unique collection of the renowned ethnologist C. P. Mountford's field notes and diaries with photographs and art works he collected from the 1930s to the 1960s, catalogued as PRG 1218 in the Archival Collection. Material covers Aboriginal communities from the remote areas of South Australia and the Northern Territory. The material was collected and preserved by Mountford's friend, Harold L. Sheard who presented it to the Library in 1959. Because of the nature of the material, access is restricted. Contact the Telephone Enquiry Service on 08 8207 7250 to arrange for access to this and other smaller anthropological collections. More information about the Mountford Collection can be found at SA Memory.
A collection of more than 6000 78rpm recordings of mainly American popular music and jazz from the 1920s to the 1950s. A card file can be consulted for all original Purches records
The volumes in this collection once belonged to Queen Adelaide. They were given to Augustus Short, Adelaide's first Anglican bishop, in 1878, who in turn presented the books to the South Australian Institute, a forerunner of the State Library of South Australia.
Josiah Symon, called to the bar in 1871, was a member of the House of Assembly and a Commonwealth Senator from 1901-1913 where he was Attorney General from 1904-1905. He left his 7,500 volume personal library to the State Library. It is an extremely fine example of a 19th century gentleman's library