A statue of the Scottish people’s poet Robbie Burns was commissioned by the Caledonian Society of South Australia and was unveiled on 5 May 1894 among the vast crowd on the north-west corner of the North Terrace/Kintore Avenue intersection, where the War Memorial now stands.
Scottish farmer and poet Robert Burns was born in Ayrshire
The statue was moved in 1930 and placed beside the entrance to the Art Gallery. However, the Gallery Board of Governors thought the statue disrupted the symmetry of the Gallery's facade and after the Premier Sir Thomas Playford interceded, the statue was moved again in 1940 in front of the Library on North Terrace. As part of the Library redevelopment the statue was moved to its present location in the State Library forecourt.
In 1920 the buildings of Adelaide were floodlit for the visit of the 26 year old Edward, Prince of Wales, who later abdicated in 1936. From left along North Terrace can be seen the Robbie Burns statue (on the corner now occupied by the War Memorial), the Institute building, the Public Library building, and at the far right the dome belonging to the Exhibition Building, since demolished for the plaza at the University of Adelaide.
In 2010 the Institute Building was lit up as part of the Northern Lights project as part of the Adelaide Festival, along with other North Terrace cultural buildings.
Vast crowds gathered for the unveiling of the statue of King Edward VII in front of the