The District reflector was a short-lived monthly publication covering Woodville and nearby suburbs. Only five issues of the broadsheet newspaper are known to exist. It contained snippets of news for Woodville, Kilkenny, Croydon and the new subdivision of 'Gelland' (now part of West Croydon). The newspaper was published by 'Messrs Woodland and Webb' and printed by EJ McAlister.
Only three issues of this newspaper are known to have survived. The bulk of each issue comprises single sentences of scathing gossip under headings such as 'Kengington Kinks', or 'Croydon Crows'. These were apparently compiled by 'correspondents' in the suburbs mentioned. The geographical coverage ranges from Kensington to Tea Tree Gully, Hope Valley to Dry Creek. It is difficult to imagine how the publishers managed to publish such intimate and libellous material. The newspaper was produced by Charles Chandler, who had many brushes with the law during his varied newspaper career.
Only two issues of the Eastern Star were published. This neatly produced newspaper covered the inner eastern suburbs of Norwood, St Peters and Payneham. It included both advertisements for local businesses and news articles.
This was one of a series of early free suburban newspapers produced by Walqvist Publishing. The other titles were the Welfare Times, Unley Welfare and Western Times. Norwood and Kensington news was interspersed with social notes, a children's column, 'the woman in the home' column, and advertisements. The disagreement between the Minister for Education and the Norwood Council over extending the Norwood Oval made front page headlines for several weeks.
This was a short-lived weekly newspaper. The editor was an experienced journalist, Dick Wordley. The content included discussion of local issues, social photographs, and regular fishing, gardening and entertainment sections. There was also extensive local sports coverage. An interesting column by the State Ombudsman (Bob Bakewell) answered queries connected with his area of expertise. Based at Christies Beach, the geographical coverage spread southwards from Lonsdale to Noarlunga and Willunga.
This newspaper records news for the seaside suburb in the years when it was still more of a community than a suburb. The newspaper reflects preoccupations specific to this community, such as the, ‘entire absence of modesty’ of a group of young men and women playing leap-frog (together) in 1915, a councillor's complaints about organised sport on Sundays in 1945, and a local optician warning that wearing sunglasses inside might be injurious to the eyes in 1955. More general issues included the Conscription debate during the First World War. This newspaper was taken over by the Messenger Press in 1964, becoming the Guardian Messenger.
This newspaper contained strong local political commentary. Topics including issues with the Glenelg tram and the Patawalonga figured strongly. There were also lengthy social columns. From 1939 photographs were included in the newspaper.
This newspaper was founded as an opposition newspaper to the Glenelg Guardian, following controversy over the 1922 local council election. It gives detailed local government commentary, and covers the early years of the Glenelg Football Club. It also includes obituaries of local people, and lots of cinema news in the days of silent films. Geographical coverage includes Brighton and Seacliff.
The free Glenelg News Pictorial took a ‘breezy’ approach to local news. It published plenty of photographs of local views, businesses, and pretty girls. It also aimed for items of interest to ‘the younger generation.’ Storm damage to the North Esplanade (21 July 1964, pp. 1-2) and discussion about whether television was causing a downturn in library membership (18 August 1964, pp. 1) were among the headline topics. A women's page compiled by Rae Pretty included recipes, advice and wedding photographs. The newspaper was distributed fortnightly in Glenelg, Marion and Brighton, but concentrated on Glenelg news. Only nine issues appear to have been published.
The Local was one of many suburban newspapers which sprang up following the Second World War. It was initially published by the Findon and Flinders Park sub-branch of the R.S.L. The editor was WM Wicks. In 1948 publication was taken over by the Beverley Ward Progress Association. In 1954, when the title changed to Western Districts Local, the editor was RR Cox.
This was a small newspaper covering the suburbs of North Adelaide, Prospect, Enfield and Walkerville. It included brief local news mostly in relation to the local councils. It also published advertisements for local businesses. Sport was a feature. Most space was taken up with a 'Hollywood' page, books and cookery columns.
South Australia's first suburban newspapers had difficulty lasting more than a few months or even a few weeks. Norwood had at least two failed newspaper attempts from the 1880s. In 1908 James Hales, one of the three Hales mining agent/newspaper brothers, founded the Norwood Standard. In the Norwood Standard the Hales simply reprinted much of the text and articles from their Mining Standard newspaper. Only the first issue was entirely original. The Norwood Standard contained a number of sports reports, mostly (local) football and horseracing. ‘Heard on the tram’ was a well written column of chatty commentary on current Adelaide matters.
Only one issue of the Ratepayer appears to have been published. It was one of the free community newspapers appearing in the Adelaide suburbs before the Second World War. Produced by the West Torrens Ratepayers’ Association, it comprised commentary on Council activities and articles about organisations such as the local Mothers and Babies’ Health Association.
This is the single surviving issue of a title briefly published at Unley for JSJ (Joseph) Pengelley. It contained advertisements and some brief news for the suburbs of Unley, Norwood, Payneham and Hindmarsh. Charles Chandler and John Morris were the printers. Chandler was later the publisher of the scurrilous Freelance and Truth newspapers. Both brought him libel charges.
This newspaper was founded by HG Butler, a well-known journalist, and one-time editor of the Port Lincoln Times. In 1962 the newspaper became part of the Messenger Press group. Its current title is Eastern Courier Messenger.
This is the oldest surviving Adelaide suburban newspaper. The publisher was Robert Osborne, formerly of the Quorn Mercury. Initially the newspaper covered the full range of Unley news: local government, sport, churches and detailed biographies and obituaries, including photographs. However, from 1910 the newspaper was reduced to one page of local news, and three pages of syndicated items.
This was a free newspaper produced by Gordon Dwyer and the Sport Radio Press. As well as lots of advertisements, the articles covered local sport, churches, Unley Council activities, the RSL branch, biographical articles and a 'Hollywood Happenings' column with movie news.
Douglas Bardolph produced this outspoken local newspaper. As well as a page for women, coverage of local sport, churches and social news, and biographical articles and photographs, the Unley News contained long critical editorials about local government and other issues facing the people of Unley. These editorials drew public criticism. News coverage extended to Goodwood and adjacent suburbs.
Only five issues of the Unley Review have survived. The small, magazine-like newspaper focussed strongly on post-war related subjects such as the employment of returned soldiers. It also contained lengthy local sports reports and photographs.
Only five issues of the Unley Times have survived. The free weekly newspaper was published by GAG Herbert, and as well as news items gave coverage to local school activities, sport, social notes, and included a women's page.
This small newspaper was produced through the Hilton Progressive Association. Its news coverage concentrated on news items for the suburb of Hilton, in particular news of this Association, reports of the West Torrens District Council, sport, and original humorous articles adnd letters.
This began as a magazine format, but from July 1914 was printed as a broadsheet newspaper. Covering news from the West Torrens district, and including photographs, the newspaper included strong coverage of the West Torrens Football Club. The newspaper also gave much space to reporting the first months of the First World War.
This newspaper began as a small production of the Findon and Flinders Park RSL sub-branch. Its geographical coverage was the western suburbs of Adelaide, in particular Findon, Beverley and Flinders Park.
This was a free newspaper, published by Wahlqvist Press in Pirie Street. It covered news for the suburbs of Henley Beach, Hilton, Mile End and Torrensville. The content was mostly short news items and advertisements for local businesses, with sporting news on the back page. Longer 'interest' articles on the front page, included a series of melodramatic South Australian history articles. From the sixth issue stories of the editor’s schooldays in a country town appear. Front page headline news included the disappearance of 13-year-old Vernon Pretty, son of the mayor of Thebarton. (28 August 1924, p. 1) The last few issues included a 'Suburban men of note' column describing prominent local men.