Skip to main content

Church records: Home

The State Library holds a number of Church records which may be useful to family historians

Find and connect: records of institutional care

The aim of the Find and Connect website is to assist those who grew up in institutional care in Australia to access original records and information.

The website contains information, including:

* policies
* public figures, and
* legislation

Only information which has already been published or placed in the public domain is accessible on the website, however it includes information relating to where original records are held.

Holy Trinity Church 1849

Adelaide's first church, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, North Terrace, 1849. (B 7187)

The State Library of South Australia holds many church records, including baptism, marriage and burial registers; as well as photographs, administrative records, correspondence, and Sunday School records.

Some records are on microfilm, others need to be consulted in the Somerville Reading Room.


Records for the following churches are held by the State Library. Fuller details can be found in the Library catalogue.

Records of the Adelaide Hebrew Congregation (SRG 162) are available on microfilm in the Family History area.


Note that more recent records are restricted: Records less than 30 years old may only be accessed with the permission of the individual church.

Specific restrictions:

- Baptismal registers after 1974 are restricted for 75 years

- Marriage registers after 1974 are restricted for 60 years

- Burial registers after 1974 are restricted for 25 years.

Access to entries after 1974 is restricted to the individuals named in the records, or their authorised representative and requires written permission from the Church authority.

The Library also holds church magazines which sometimes contain references to births, marriages and deaths. Check the Library catalogue for details by the name of the church.

Baptism of Anna Angelakis 1960


Baptism of Anna Angelakis 1960 (B70202)

Church group

Port Augusta Presbyterian Church choir c. 1905 (SRG 123/348/121)