From the South Australian Register 1 February 1898 page 6
SOME OLD LANDMARKS
RELICS OF THE COACHING DAYS
[By an Australian]
Relics of first ventures
'Although almost every township within 100 miles of Adelaide can furnish a landmark, in the form of a hotel, which in bygone days was the resting-place or terminus of some line of coaches, there are two old premises within the city limits which, from their central position, must be taken as the groundwork of this sketch. One is the John Bull Hotel in Currie-street, the first coaching hostelry in Adelaide, and the common starting-point prior to 1856— that is until Rounsevell's booking-office was transferred to a building adjoining the Criterion Hotel, when that house became the terminus for their numerous lines of coaches, which for years almost held a monopoly of the passenger traffic of the colony.'
The complete article can be read below.