The State Library of South Australia has one of the best shipping and maritime history collections in Australia. It includes books, periodicals, newspapers, shipping registers and several substantial pictorial collections. Shipping enthusiasts and maritime historians will find many of these resources very useful, as will the family historian who may be searching for a photograph or illustration of a particular ship.
The State Library offers a free research service. When you send us your research question we'll spend up to forty five minutes research time on it, and undertake to reply to your request within 5 to 10 working days with an answer which might range from:
- the exact answer to a specific question of fact
- a list of books, articles or URLs for a broader question
- a referral to another organisation where appropriate.
What we can't do for you:
- conduct ongoing or in-depth research
- lengthy newspaper searching
- provide extensive details for student assignments - we can however offer advice and suggestions for further reading.
- respond to "urgent" enquiries.
You are welcome to use this research service up to four times in a twelve month period. Enquiries submitted on Friday afternoon will be dealt with on Monday morning. The basic research service is free although there are charges for copying.
How to lodge a query with us:
Through our online query form
Write to us: The State Library of South Australia GPO Box 419, Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Who we are
Phone: +61 08 8207 7250
Fax: +61 08 8207 7247