Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What could I find?
Naturalisation records are held by the National Archives of Australia. Records for the Province of South Australia before 1904 are available at their Adelaide Office.
Information that may be found includes:
- date of birth
- place of birth
- date of arrival in Australia
- name of ship or flight travelled on
- state of residence at time of naturalisation
- names of other family members
- occasionally there are also additional papers attached, including handwritten statements and testimonies
The National Archives of Australia has recently published Commonwealth Government records about South Australia and a version is available online. Chapter 10 outlines information pertaining to naturalisation that is worth exploring.
Available at the State Library
Available at the National Archives of Australia
The National Archives of Australia has digitised many of its historical records, including naturalisation records, and these are now available online.