The News (1923-1992), Adelaide
This was Adelaide’s signature evening newspaper. The tabloid was founded by James Edward Davidson in 1923 through the merging two old titles, the Express and the Journal. The News was popular from the start, with a strong initial circulation. By 1953 the circulation was 160,000. After Davidson’s sudden death in London in 1930, Keith Murdoch, already owner of the Advertiser, joined the News’ Board. By 1949 he had secured a major personal share of the newspaper. His son, Rupert, joined the News in 1952. He became publisher and managing director, before selling the title to Northern Star Holdings in 1987. When it closed in 1992, the News was the last metropolitan afternoon newspaper in Australia. Many prominent journalists cut their teeth on the News.