Adelaide Times (1848-1858), Adelaide
The Adelaide Times was established by colourful James Allen on his return from England in 1848. Allen trained as a Baptist minister, but worked as a reporter in London and was associated with writers including Charles Dickens. Modelled in appearance on the London Times, with an almost identical masthead, the content of this newspaper was very different to the conservative English title. The Times was one of a handful of Adelaide newspapers to survive the effects of the 1850s Victorian gold rush. Allen took advantage of the rush by sending his son to Mount Alexander to establish a local office for the Times at the diggings, (8 May 1852, p. 3) and printed detailed reports for readers at home in South Australia. From March 1850, along with its rival, the Register, the Times pioneered daily publication, but during the gold rush it was forced to return to a weekly. From January 1853 an expanded Saturday edition of the Times was published for country readers under the title South Australian Weekly Dispatch. Julian Tenison-Woods was sub-editor at the Times between 1855 and 1856. This was before he began studying for the priesthood. In 1853 Allen sold the newspaper to an influential group of Adelaide gentlemen, but re-purchased it in 1855. These men were: Richard Hanson (Advocate General), Robert Torrens (Treasurer), George Stevenson (Coroner and former editor of the Register), John Brown (former Emigration Agent), and Edward Gwynne (lawyer and MP). (South Australian Register, 17 November 1853, p. 3) Historian Douglas Pike described the Times as, ‘an unpredictable waverer from abject support of the government to the wildest republicanism.’ (Paradise of Dissent, p. 395) The Adelaide Times closed in May 1858 due to Allen's insolvency. It was the first newspaper in Adelaide contracted to record and publish Parliamentary Hansard, a role later shared by the Register and the Advertiser.