It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This newspaper was established by wealthy businessman, Rudolf Eimer when the Sudaustralische Zeitung refused to publish any views contrary to its own radical opinions. Nevertheless, Eimer's newspaper also claimed to be radical. The newspaper included in its pages reports of colonial politics, which was not always the case in the German-Australian press at the time. Wilhelm Eggers, formerly of the South Australian Register purchased the newspaper in 1855. He gave more space to overseas than local news. Like many of its 'English' contemporaries, this newspaper folded during the gold rush of the early 1850s, but was resurrected in 1853. Unfortunately the State Library holds a very incomplete set. This was the first German language newspaper to publish an entertainment supplement, Blatter fur Ernst und scherz.
The Adelaider post was the short-lived South Australian edition of the Sydney-based German language newspaper, Die Woche in Australien. The editor was Hans Flessner. The newspaper described itself as an 'independent Australian German weekly newspaper'. Its reporting included both local and world news, taking a German/Austrian slant in its overseas news reporting. Social, religious, sporting news and films are covered in its columns. General news stories ranged from a report of compensation being paid to Jewish families by the Krupp steel company to an article about nudist skaters (7 January 1960, p.8).
The Arab orient was produced for the South Australian Arabic community. Initially printed in Arabic, it was decided to change to English as an attempt to seek a wider readership, and also to 'halt the distortion in Australia about the Middle-East' (6 June 1979, p. 6). Largely devoted to world news, particularly focussing on news of the Arab nations, coverage was also given to local events and politics, particularly those issues which directly affected the local Arabic community.
Australijos Lietuvis (Australian Lithuanian) was the first Lithuanian newspaper in Australia. It began life in a newsletter format, but was published as a newspaper from 1952. Jurgis Glusauskas first began publishing the newspaper from a private home in Ascot Park.
Friedrich Basedow and his brother-in-law Charles Barton established the Tanunda Deutsche Zeitung in 1863 when its competitor Sud Australische Zeitung moved to Adelaide. In 1870 the title was changed to Australische Deutsche Zeitung, in an attempt to widen its readership. The change of title also reflected the establishment of a Melbourne edition of the newspaper, printed between 1870 and 1872. Only one copy of the Melbourne edition is known to have survived, and no issues are held by the State Library. In 1875 the two competing German language newspapers combined to become the Australische Zeitung under the editorship of Carl Muecke
This newspaper was formed by a merger of two rival newspapers, the Sud Australische Zeitung, and the Tanunda Deutsche Zeitung. Friedrich Basedow of th latter title was the proprietor, working with his father-in-law, Dr Carl Muecke. The newspaper was forced to close in 1916 due to anti-German feelings inspired by the First World War.
For a short time the Messers BD Auricht and JRW Schulz of Tanunda attempted to revive South Australia's last German language newspaper. The older title had been forced to close due to anti-German pressure during the First World War. The revived title was a small production, and did not last long.
The first Australian Greek newspaper was Oceanis, founded in Adelaide in 1914, but subsequently moved to Sydney. Deltion Pharoy was Adelaide's next Greek community publication, and a little longer lasting.
Taylor Martin published the German Language newspaper Hausfreund in Adelaide in 1894, out of the Register office. Only the first issue is known to exist. This contains brief South Australian, interstate and overseas news, as well as advertisements, a page of jokes, and a serial story set in the German army.
This was a weekly handwritten newsletter published by men of German background interred on Torrens Island during the First World War. There were three issues. The camp on Torrens Island contained 300 men. Under the strict supervision of Major Hawkes they were not allowed access to newspapers. The third issue refers to two re-captured escapees being flogged, which later brought an official enquiry into Major Hawkes’ running of the camp. As a result the camp was closed in August 1915, the prisoners being transferred to Holdsworthy camp near Liverpool in New South Wales. The title Kamerad translates as ‘Comrade’ or ‘Mate’. The editor was a young man named Walter Emde. The newsletters include articles, some fine drawings of the camp and inmates, humour and comic songs, and advertisements for the makeshift shops in the camp.
This newspaper was published for the Polish community of Adelaide. It was begun by Zygmunt Posluszny and supported by the Polish Caritas Society. Publication ceased when then editor Dr JZ Sobolewski was appointed to a position at the University of London.
This was a short-lived German language newspaper reputedly financed by a disgruntled would-be politician, JWA Sudholz as an opposition newspaper to the Australische Zeitung. From 1875 to 1876 the editor was Dr Ulrich Hubbe.
The first Australian Greek newspaper was Oceanis, founded in Adelaide in 1914 by George Nicolaides but subsequently moved to Sydney. Deltion Pharoy was Adelaide's next Greek community publication, and a little longer lasting. It changed its title to Pharos in its last year of publication.
This was a continuation of the earlier Deutsche Post. It was founded by Charles Hastings Barton to compete with the Adelaider Deutsche Zeitung. The editor was Dr Carl Muecke, the radical theologian and agricultural expert. The newspaper main content was summaries of German news. The German population was too small to support two newspapers and the two were amalgamated from 1863. However in the same year Barton and Basedow established the Tanunda Deutsche Zeitung which created even more intense competition. The Sud Australische Zeitung was generally of better quality and expressed more liberal views. Two magazine-style supplements - Adelaider Blatter fur Ernst und Scherz, and Australisches Unterhaltungsblatt were published. Eventually the rival newspapers merged to become the Australische Zeitung.
This newspaper was founded by Friedrich Basedow and his brother-in-law Charles Hasting Barton following the move of the Sud Australische Zeitung from Tanunda to Adelaide. Competition between the two titles was intense. The Tanunda Deutsche Zeitung contained long editorials about South Australian issues, but otherwise both contained similar material, with more space given to overseas news than local news and plenty of advertising. From March 1868 the Tanunda Deutsche Zeitung included a Melbourne news report, following a trend begun by the Sud Australische Zeitung. The two newspapers eventually merged to become the Australische Zeitung.