Adelaide Punch (1868-1884), Adelaide
Adelaide's earliest comic paper - as distinct from satirical newspapers - was the Adelaide Punch. There are references to the existence of the title as early as 1865, however the earliest existing copy dates from 1868. Modelled closely on the English Punch, it was published by William Roberts and William Fawcett. The illustrations were by Tom Carrington, previously of the Melbourne Punch. This incarnation however, lasted for only twelve issues.
In 1878 Adelaide Punch was revived by Caleb Dalwood, a nephew to the Frearson brothers of the Illustrated Adelaide news. In July 1878 Adelaide Punch passed to Scrymgour & Sons, a large firm of Adelaide printers. Dalwood continued to contribute cartoons to Frearson's weekly and Frearson's monthly through the following year, and also contributed cartoons to Adelaide Punch until 1880. Editorship is unclear until December, when JCF Johnson took over as owner and editor. Johnson was formerly drama critic for the Register. 'WJK' remained the artist of the main cartoons until early 1880. Johnson, an accomplished writer, was also an able artist and contributed the 'side pictures' for Adelaide Punch. In 1882 he sold the paper and in 1884 was elected to South Australian Parliament. The new owner of Adelaide Punch was Edward Derrington of the Port Adelaide news.
In early 1884 the paper was taken over by its chief cartoonist, Herbert Woodhouse. Woodhouse had begun drawing the side pictures for Adelaide Punch in 1881 and by 1884 seems to have been contributing almost all the cartoons. Other cartoonists had previously included 'A.E.' or A. Esam, 'H.R.', E. Dale and 'Dane'. In October 1884 Adelaide Punch was sold to its rival, the Lantern and ceased as a separate title.